Sunday, July 25, 2010

Keeping it Old School

When I think old school, this song automatically pops into my head. So hit play and then continue reading please!

Now that we have a soundtrack, let's continue. I've been plagued my trying to figure out who's sitting where in our tent. For a long time, I was using the Martha Stewart Weddings online template which was great, but for a 30'x80' tent, I couldn't see the whole floorplan in one go, and if I zoomed out far enough, I couldn't see the names very well. 



See? Teeny tiny! Plus the Martha Stewart template wouldn't let me make a room narrower than 40', so I had to improvise a bit. No good. 

Next, I tried AutoCAD. I love CAD, I'm not going to lie. However, I didn't really feel like typing each person's name in blah blah blah. It's good for space planning but not so much for specific seating arrangements. However, using CAD really helped me to nail down my layout which was killing me. How could I make all these people fit and keep the fire pit*?! 


Now because I'm a design geek, I took this to the next level. I dragged an old big ass corkboard up from the basement, and measured out our tent in a 1/2"=1'-0" scale and marked it off in twine. I then printed out our tables, the fire pit, and dance floor to scale. Next I printed off our guest list and cut their names into strips. And then the fun began. I started pinning our tables and our guests onto the board. I could see everyone at the same time, which helped me to figure out which personalities fit together best, etc. All in all, once I started pinning it took me less than an hour to sort it out. 


Voila! Old school seating plan which is now the centrepiece of our living room. I should mention, I accounted for all of our yes's and our guests who have not replied yet in this floor plan, so if we lose people it's easier to adjust than trying to add 4 tables! Clearly this is not going to the venue, it's just for my mental sanity. I'll have to have a nicer version on site so we can put the place cards in the correct spots though.


*The fire pit. I don't think I've mentioned this. Some time between when we booked our venue and the winter, our venue decided to build a giant fire pit in the middle of the event space. Why they would do this I have no idea. At first I was very upset, I mean the thing takes up basically 400 square feet, that's 4 tables of space people!!! That's not a tiny little isn't it cute thing. Our venue was very nice and offered to move it for the wedding, but I thought okay, let's try to turn lemons into lemonade and see if we can accommodate said fire pit rather than causing a huge scene. Thankfully using CAD I was able to make it all fit, and we're sticking a corkscrew hazel tree into the fire pit with some lighting, etc and using it as a back drop to our sweetheart table. I think it's going to be lovely!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment