Sunday, November 07, 2010

Bacon Jam - Yes you read that right

I've been doing a lot of talking about weddings, and not so much about the food part lately. So, let's try to balance that out by something awesome: Slow cooker bacon jam. Oh my gosh my world just changed!!! I subscribe to the Everyday Food magazine, which is a Martha Stewart subsidiary. It lights up my mailbox regularly, I'm never let down by it. This month had a section on bacon. I am a bacon fanatic. I want to eat bacon wrapped bacon. I have a dream of one day opening a store that only sells bacon. How amazing would that be?! Just different types of bacon. Oh my gosh. I digress. Back to bacon jam. It's dead simple and ridiculously tasty. I'm just waiting for Dan to get home so I can slather it on some cheese!!! Actually I don't think I'll be able to wait that long, who am I kidding?!

Slow Cooker Bacon Jam
(from Everyday Food magazine, Issue 78, Dec 2010)

Makes 3 cups
Active time 30 mins
Total time 4 hrs

  • 1.5 lbs sliced bacon (a package and a half approx), cut cross wise into 1" pieces
  • 2 medium yellow onions, diced small
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 3/4 brewed coffee
1. In a large skillet brown your bacon, stirring occasionally until fat is rendered and bacon is slightly browned, about 20 minutes. 
 
 
With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 1 tbsp of fat from skillet; add onions and garlic and cook until onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add vinegar, brown sugar, maple syrup and coffee. Bring to a boil, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, about 2 minutes. 
 
 
Add bacon and stir to combine.

2. Transfer mixture to a slow cooker and cook on high uncovered until liquid is syrupy*, about 3.5 - 4 hours.
 
 
3. Transfer to a food processor; pulse until coarsely chopped. Let cool then refrigerate in air tight containers, up to 4 weeks.


 * My mixture never went "syrupy" per say, but it did reduce down a lot. It turned out fine anyways. Yum!!!

4 comments:

  1. Lol okay now I have to be honest.... I like where your head is at here. I like (love) bacon. I support branching out.... but bacon jam? really? haha. Sorry just doesn't sound good to me :) But then again I hate maple syrup and any kind of sweet-glazed meat so I guess I was never bound to like it. Have you ever tried bacon maple donuts? I haven't (see: hating maple), but supposedly they're fabulous if you like that sort of thing.

    (CorgiTales)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, it's not like toast and jam type of jam, it's like on top of cheese type of jam. Calling it a tapinade or a spread would definitely be a better descriptor. It's a bit sweet, definitely thick. It was awesome on Asiago :) I love it!

    I haven't had bacon maple donuts but I think I definitely want them! Where do you get them?! I've made peanut butter bacon cookies and they were DELICIOUS. The bacon just acted as a salty accent, you couldn't taste the bacon flavour at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha in Canada? I have no idea :) I think its just various local places do them... but they seem to be getting popular so I bet good ol' Tim Horton's will have them before too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! I am going to add it to my Thanksgiving menu. On the coffee measurement, is that supposed to be "3/4 cup coffee"? I assume it is, but just wanted to double check.
    If you are ever in Los Angeles, The Nickel Diner makes excellent bacon-maple donuts. http://nickeldiner.com/

    ReplyDelete