Sunday, February 14, 2010

Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Soup

It's been a weekend of family and Olympics, sorry for not posting this recipe sooner! So I took my 2 for $4 packages of red peppers, cut them in half and laid them on tin foil covered cookie sheets under the broiler until they were good and charred. I did 7 total (one was moldy inside when I cut it open, ew).
  

When those were done, I threw them in paper bags until they cooled. While they were cooling, I cut a bunch of roma tomatoes in half, tossed them with some olive oil and fresh minced garlic and put those in the oven on 325 for about 45 minutes or until they start looking  soft and shrivelly and smell awesome. 
 

When the peppers are cooled, rub the bag over them and the skins should peel off easily. If you're like me and this doesn't work perfectly, get as much off as you can, and don't stress about the rest! I don't peel and seed my tomatoes either, but a lot of people do. Whatever floats your boat. It's going to taste delicious either way. 

Now put your roasted peppers and tomatoes in a decent soup pot. Grab your immersion blender (if you don't have one GO GET ONE NOW! Or just use a food processor but they're such a pain to clean up, you'd be better off spending the $50 on the immersion blender) and blend away! You want to get all your veggies nice and smooth. You may want to add some chicken stock to help the process along. You'll need a cup of chicken stock either now or when the veggies are done anyways. When that's good, simmer with the chicken stock on the stove for about 10 minutes to get your flavours going. Add 1 cup of milk (or cream, whatever your diet will allow), and a good handful of chopped fresh basil. Some more freshly minced garlic or even caramelized onions would be tasty additions too! I like to run my immersion blender through again at this point to make sure I don't have any big basil leaves floating around. 
 

Add in some goat cheese if you'd like to make it a little silkier. Season with salt and pepper to taste! Delicious! We had ours with brandied carrots and parsnips and an oven baked ham.
It's not a gourmet lookin' plate but it sure was yummy!
 
 *All of the above photos are personal photos*

No comments:

Post a Comment