Monday, February 22, 2010

I'm siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick (and how to fix it)

Okay I'm not that sick but I have a really terrible sore throat and a snuffly nose. I feel a bit worn down. Life is hard I know ;) I'm a cry baby.
Anyways, I thought this would be the perfect opportunity to share my naturopath's stop-your-cold-in-its-tracks remedy. It tastes a bit like Neocitran but without the knock you out for 8 hours effect. The ginger is awesome for your immune system, lemons are full of vitamin C, and honey is a natural antimicrobial.

You'll need:
- a hunk of ginger (not minced out of a jar, real ginger!)
- water
- 1 lemon
- honey

- Take about an inch of the ginger and peel it. Chop or grate it and throw it in a medium size pot (if you grate it, you may want to throw it in cheesecloth). 
- Cover with 2 cups of water. Boil for 20 minutes. The longer you boil it, the stronger it'll get.
- Remove the ginger pieces (hence cheesecloth or I just slice mine now and fish it out with a slotted spoon)
- Add juice of 1/2 lemon.
- Pour into your mug, add honey to taste and enjoy!


My naturopath recommends drinking 2 mugs of this a day. I've taken to doubling this recipe and reheating over the course of a couple days. It seriously works and it's tasty!



No comments:

Post a Comment