Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Little Morsels of Heaven

My cousin's wife turned me onto a cooking/baking magazine called Cuisine At Home. After perusing her issues one night, I signed up for my own subscription and ordered past issues as soon as I got home. One of my favourites is the Holiday Cookies special edition. We have an annual Christmas party, so I was determined to have as many different types of cookies as I could churn out!

One of these was their "Pecan Pie Bites", they are so good! I happened to have four extra little tartlet shells left over and so I decided to fill them with other things that were delicious: goat cheese, caramelized onion, prosciutto. I created morsels of heaven. They were SO amazing I had to make an entire batch of them, four would not do. If I could boast for a second, they were the first items of food to disappear at the party :)

Veronica's Pieces of Heaven
For the tartlet shells (from Cuisine at Home):
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2-2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp table salt

1. Preheat your oven to 350*. Coat 2 mini muffin pans with non-stick spray. Don't use one tray and make two batches, you'll lose your mind.
2. Cream together the butter and brown sugar in a bowl. Add flour and salt; mix until sandy. The dough is pretty dry and will literally look like crumbly sand, this is what you want.
3. Press 1 heaping tablespoon of dough into each well of the tins, shaping the dough up the sides. I managed a technique using my thumb that worked best for me.
4. Bake for 8 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges.
5. Remove the shells from the oven and CAREFULLY pat the bottoms down with a tiny spoon or your finger. Set aside.

Filling:
- 1 big log of goat cheese, room temperature
- caramelized onions (I used a caramelized onion compote I had in the fridge and it was awesome)
- sliced proscuitto
6. Fill each shell with goat cheese nearly to the top.
7. Top with a touch of onion compote and a snippet of proscuitto.
8. Pop back into the oven and bake for about 10-15 minutes more.
9. Let cool in the pans for 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge to pop them out. This is a very very important step. If you don't let them cool for 15 minutes they won't pop out, they'll crumble apart.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment