Saturday, January 02, 2010

The Proposal/Or "Thanks Dad!"

Dan and I had been planning a trip to the East coast of Canada for a couple months this past summer. We renovated an old 1973 Winnebago back to front, top to bottom. It was an ambitious project. I had a gut instinct Dan was going to propose during the trip but was trying not to get my hopes up JUST IN CASE. Could you imagine driving back from Newfoundland with one angry un-engaged woman?!

After a heck of a lot of work, we hit the road on a Monday evening. We spent the night with my parents so we could miss the Toronto traffic in the morning. In the morning, we were saying our goodbyes out on the front lawn with my parents. There were lots of hugs and kisses all around. My dad looked around very excited asking "Can I say something? Can I say something?" Dan and I were expecting something along the lines of "Have a great trip! Here's $50 towards your first tow!"... Instead my Dad looked at my Mom and said "I just wanted you to know, Dan has asked for my permission for Veronica's hand in marriage." Dad was proud as punch. Dan looked like he watched a puppy get run over. I burst out laughing as my Mom looked at Dan and said "Never ever tell Lou anything! Don't you know that?! The man CANNOT keep a secret!!!" Dan, Mom and I laughed until tears streamed down our cheeks while Dad innocently looked around asking "What??? What????" When we were finally in a semi-composed state, Dan simply said "Well, do you want your ring?", and obviously I said YES!!!! Dan went to the RV to get the ring and when he got back, he got down on one knee (still on my parents front lawn!!!) and told me how much he loved me and asked me to marry him. Again, another resounding yes, and tears for a whole different reason!

Two footnotes to this story. First, the whole time was down on his knee, my mother was weeding in the garden. When my Mom weeds, she throws everything behind her. I was dodging weeds during Dan's proposal while my Dad was pulling on my Mom muttering "Terry get up! This is kind of important!" Ahhhh true Nuspl style...

Secondly, according to my Dad, Dan had given him permission to tell people about our engagement as soon as we were "out of Toronto". Dad took the meaning quite literally as my parents house is about 1km from the Toronto border. I can safely say I'm sure there are not many brides out there who have been proposed to by their father!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment